BUILDING CONSTRUCTION/MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR
Date Revised: 7/17, 03/23
Under direction, to plan, assign and supervise the work of staff performing a variety of skilled, semiskilled and unskilled tasks in the construction, repair, and maintenance of County buildings and equipment; and to do other work as required.
This is the first full supervisory level in the Building Construction/Maintenance Worker series. Positions in this class are distinguished from positions in the lower class of Building Construction/Maintenance Worker III which function as lead workers over semiskilled and/or unskilled workers performing carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical work in the construction, repair, and maintenance of County buildings and equipment. This class is distinguished from the lower class of Senior Electrician which may act as a lead worker as opposed to a primary supervisor. This class is distinguished from the next higher class of Building Superintendent which has County-wide responsibility for building construction, maintenance, and repair; building mechanical equipment installation, construction, maintenance, and repair; and custodial services.
· Supervises the work of personnel performing a variety of skilled, semiskilled and unskilled carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting and general maintenance tasks;
· Reviews work orders and determines priorities;
· Assigns and schedules work;
· Sets performance standards and evaluates performance of staff;
· Examines buildings and fixtures for needed repairs and maintenance and makes recommendations to supervisor;
· Assists in establishing and implementing preventive maintenance programs;
· Reviews building plans for compliance with building, electrical and plumbing codes;
· Estimates costs of construction, maintenance repair, and other projects;
· Orders materials and assembles tools and equipment for projects;
· Instructs staff in proper work procedures, use of hand tools and power equipment and safety procedures;
· Inspects work in progress and upon completion;
· Assists staff in handling unusual problems;
· Maintains records and prepares reports;
· May personally perform the more skilled construction and maintenance tasks;
· May provide vacation or other temporary relief for supervisor or for other classes as required.
Training and Experience: Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain these knowledge and abilities would be:
One year of experience performing duties comparable to those of a Building Construction/Maintenance Worker III in Santa Cruz County.
Five years of full-time, progressively responsible experience in the building trades including one year of supervisory experience within the building trades.
Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's license. Note: Candidates with an out of state license may apply and go through recruitment and examination process, however verification of California License must be provided at time of appointment.